Sunday, 6 October 2013

The Bupa Great North Run



Three weeks on and I’ve had some time to reflect on my first GNR experience, make that my first half marathon experience! I signed up to the ballot earlier on in the year like thousands of other hopeful runners, but given that it was my fourth year of unlucky runs I was expecting yet another unsuccessful entry.  

The very first Bupa Great North Run was held in June 1981 and since then has established itself as the biggest mass participation-sporting event in the country, with 56,000 participants in 2013. I graduated from Newcastle University over the summer and until now have lived in the North all my life so naturally to be a part of the world’s largest half marathon has always been on top of my list.

From the start line on the central motorway in Newcastle right through to the finish line in South Shields, the atmosphere and support throughout the entire course was absolutely faultless! I remember that incredible feeling around the 12-mile mark as I made my way down Coast Road Bank with breathtaking panoramic views of the seafront and into the home stretch for the last mile.

If I could offer one piece of advise for runners it would be to be absolutely sure you are in a starting zone that suits your pace. It’s so important and something I didn’t really consider when registering for the event over a year ago.  The GNR isn’t a run to offer a PB its about soaking up the atmosphere and just enjoying the course. With that in mind, I’m ready to take on my second half marathon. Next stop Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment